Deckhand reference books

Find a job on a fishing boat, or sign on a deckhand.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Deckhand reference books

Post by Once and Future »

For prospective deckhands: I got a copy of the Bick Bucks Guide to Commercial Fishing in Alaska, but I haven't read much of it.

It seems to only cover trawling, longlining, and crabbing. The sketch of a chinook looks like a lake trout. There is probably some good stuff in here, and will gain you some insight.

However, I still prefer the book I used starting out, years ago. "The North Pacific Deckhand's and Alaska Cannery Workers Handbook". It's information is more condensed, resulting in a shorter book. And as I recall, it covers all the fishing gear types with some simple sketches. It gave some damn good advice regarding quitting if you realize your skipper is enough of an alcoholic that your life is at risk. It is strange to think, though, how times have changed in 30 years. Now, you mostly see foreigners working in the canneries. When I was young, I thought a cannery job was a good adventure and a way to get a foot in the door and see Alaska for somebody with no connections. If it is a cannery that has housing, at least you don't have to sleep under the sky.
Drew
Spammer?: No

Re: Deckhand reference books

Post by Drew »

I found this website to be pretty cool to look through when I was planning my trip to Alaska as a greenhorn deckhand. Lots of articles about the different ports and fisheries in Alaska.

http://www.jobmonkey.com/alaska/html/intro.html