How to start Power Trolling

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Martin09
Spammer?: No

How to start Power Trolling

Post by Martin09 »

I am looking to buy a power troller and permit at the end of the 2011 season to start fishing in 2012. Any helpful advise? I am from Ketchikan and I am looking for a 34-40 foot fiberglass/steel troller to buy.
Martin09

Re: How to start Power Trolling

Post by Martin09 »

Is the fishing in SE alaska for a power troller still sustainable to make a living with? along with paying off loans?
actionalaska

Post by actionalaska »

Depends on a whole lot of variables. Mainly, how much of your investment you need to finance to get into the fishery, and how many fish you catch. I would suggest buying a less expensive "starter" wood boat to try the fishery. Wood boats are inexpensive compared to steel or fiberglass of the same length, I have a 42' double ender built in 1939 and it fishes great. Good luck.
kalitan97828

Post by kalitan97828 »

If you are interested in chum fishing you might check out the f/v Chatam here in Sitka. It is well set up for that fishery.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Here is a picture from a few years ago of the Chatham.    Located in Sitka.     Fishy boat for many years.
Here is a picture from a few years ago of the Chatham. Located in Sitka. Fishy boat for many years.
Chatham Mike Blewett.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 11965 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Albo, also for sale this winter.
Albo, also for sale this winter.
Albo, 2010.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 11967 times
Martin09

Post by Martin09 »

Thanks for the advise. I commercial fish in the summer time, so I was hoping to use my check from that to put a good down payment on the boat/permit loan. As for the chum fishing. I am hoping to fish as much as possible. King/Coho/Chum. I live in Ketchikan, so I am hoping/planning on fishing it all. I have been looking at a 36ft fiberglass. It is just under 100k. So Im thinking around 150k to start out. The boat is VERY nice. 6’x12’x4’ fiberglass troller built by Albion in 1987. Economical Mitsubishi main rated at 160 hp. Burns 2.5 gallons at 7 knots. 10,000 lbs fish hold capacity. 12” combination crab, longline block, trolling gurdies and all miscellaneous gear. Raytheon GPS, Garmin GPS, Icom VHF, Raythoen radar, Furuno depth sounder, ComNav 2001 auto pilot and a laptop with a navigation program. I am just trying to get as much information about everything I can to see if I could financial do this. This boat has the capabilities of doing some longlining/crabbing which is a plus in my book. All feedback is encouraged! here is a link to the boat...http://www.dockstreetbrokers.com/listin ... hp?id=1452

I know it is spendy. But it seems like in the long run, it could be a boat that I could be happy with for a long time. Thanks again for all comments.
Martin09

Post by Martin09 »

Does that seem like too much to start out with?
finn

Post by finn »

Does anyone over in Sitka have information on the Chatham?
Do you know the price being asked for her and the owner contact information?
Thank you...
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Send me a private message or give me a call and I will take your info and pass it on to the owner. Just did that last night for a guy. Talked to Mike last night and he is still interested in selling.
Jon

Post by Jon »

You should not forget to look at the Canadian trollers. Recently some very nice 38' fiberglass trollers have sold, with asking prices under 70k!
Martin09

Post by Martin09 »

thanks, ive been looking at that site, lot of boats on there. Thanks again for all the support