In the galley.

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Angie

In the galley.

Post by Angie »

I love my dickinson oil stove. No matter what temp it is at it always seems to cook, roast, bake food perfectly providing you tend to the dish and rotate it a few times for even heat distribution. When it gets too hot, crack the door at little, when it's a little too cold, open the valve and let in more diesel. I thought this would be a good area to post recipes as a tribute to the oil stove. It doesn't have to be just about the oil stove though, any recipes are welcome. Ideally, I would love to have lots of recipes with special attention to limited produce and regional availability, although if you have a recipe with starfruit in it that's alright, we can always make substitutions!
Tom

Re: In the galley.

Post by Tom »

Ok, Here goes, very simple boat dish that is easy and tasty! We have a small freezer on board and never leave port without a couple of ten lb bags of frozen chicken thighs and drumsticks (If you don't have a freezer I guess this is a recipe when your in town): Anyhow in the largest backing pan that you can fit in your oven I put eight or ten pieces of chicken then I quarter some potatoes as well as some onions put them in as well, little salt and pepper than a generous amount of Italian dressing, cover with tin foil let her cook making sure to spin so as not to cook it all on one side. Towards the end I take foil off and let the skin get burnt.(yum yum) At home in a regular oven it's usaully 350 for an hour or a little longer. Very simple and it hits the spot.
Angie

Post by Angie »

Miso soup is great. It goes great with raw or cooked fish, it's easy, and it's good for you. This is also so much better than instant miso soup which I think has a funny taste. Here's the recipe.

MISO SOUP

3 or 4 tablespoons miso paste (depending on taste)
3 cups water
1 teaspoon dashi granules (dried fish stock)
3 cups water
Chopped scallions
Optional: Mushrooms, firm tofu, wakame(seaweed) or carrots, etc.

Add 1 teaspoon dashi to 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Boil until dashi is dissolved (only a couple minutes.)
If you add any optional ingredients then simmer them until slightly tender.
Add miso paste and remove from heat. Keep stirring until miso is dissolved. Add scallions to taste.

Japanese traditionally eat miso soup for breakfast and after meals although I like to have it with or before the meal.
You can buy dashi and miso paste at a bigger grocery market or online. I am pretty sure they don't sell it at the scow or Pelican seafoods ;)
Since we are spoiled now I am going to saute a bunch of chopped veggies in advance and freeze them.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Checkered fish

One of my favorites, is also one of the simplest to put together. Coat a 10" by 10 " casserole pan with olive oil. acquire fillets of halibut and red king salmon that are of equal thickness. cut fillets into 2" by 2" cubes and arrange them in the pan in an alternating, checkerboard pattern.The squares should be packed in tightly. Brush on more olive oil, and season with Johnnies' seasoning, salt & pepper, and a little dillweed.
If you have the time, cut lemon slices, sqeeze the juice on top of squares. cut the rind off of lemon slices, give it a little corkscrew, and add to the top for eye appeal. I have also applied a brushing of yoshida's sauce on to give it a glaze before, looks nice, and tastes yummy!
Bake for 20 minutes or so @ 350 degrees F. Just until flakey without drying it out, it will very depending on the thickness of the fillets.
any opposing colored fish may be substituted.
After that it's a matter of personal choice for side dish. I'm a brown rice, and corn ear man myself, enjoy!!
Last edited by yak2you2 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tacorajim
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by tacorajim »

I thought this recipe collection was good enough to print and save. So, here it is:

http://www.fvoa.org/recipe.html
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

If your looking for a good,basic recipe book checkout Marine Cuisine put together by AMCC all the recipes are from fishingfolk and friends.
Its a small fund raiser for Alaska Marine Conservation Council.AMCC does alot of important work to help keep our marine ecosystem healty and diverse.
steffco

Post by steffco »

Small Boat Ceviche
This recipe is designed for the small boat folks that have limited cooking and cold storage space available. All the ingredients keep well and take minimal prep time, It also helps to ease your conscience on a couple of the rockfish that you caught.

Filet 2 rockfish and cut the boneless meat into 3/8” cubes.
Plastic coverable bowl. I use the re-usable Glad ones.
Lemons or limes
“Rotel” brand “Original” Canned Diced Tomatoes, drained
Small Onion, diced
Fresh Cilantro if you have some if not use the stuff that comes in a tube.
Salt
Tortilla Chips

Squeeze enough Lemons or Limes into the bowl to cover the fish. Place lid on and put in cooler, let the fish “cook” for 2-5 hours until the bigger pieces are white all the way through. Drain and rinse in fresh water a couple of times. Add the 3 cans diced tomatoes. These are very spicy and if you use plain diced or another brand of tomatoes the recipe will not be the same. You can substitute one of the cans of Rotels with a plain small diced Tomatoes if spicy foods are not your bag.
Add the Onion, Cilantro and salt to taste.
Dig in with a chip and enjoy. It will almost make you look forward to dragging up a rockfish.
This mixture is also very good without the fish and will keep you from getting scurvy on those long trips.
tacorajim
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by tacorajim »

This was for a Pelican Elementary School assignment back in 1983-4.
AjaxRecipe.gif
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Thai coconut seafood saute

Lightly cook one fillet of rock fish or 2 lbs. of halibut cut into bite sized pieces. Add fish pieces, 1 lb. of cooked and peeled small to medium sized shrimp, and 1 lb. of medium sized scallops to a large sauce pan or kettle. Next add 3 cans of coconut milk and jigger in Tapertio hot sauce, stirring and tasting frequently until spicy enough for personal taste. Warning!! this brand of hot sauce is very hot, so add in little doses. Lastly, add 2 sliced scallions and stir until the sauce is thoroughly mixed, allow to simmer 45 minutes, and serve over rice.
The beauty of this recipe is, the coconut milk and the Tapertio are the only 2 ingredients that must remain constant, all else may be substituted. i.e.- Thai coconut chicken.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

I love this thread. Here was what was for dinner a couple days ago;
Brown rice with seaweed and Cayenne pepper sprinkled on top, smoked king salmon, and sockeye cavier.
simple, but very effective.