king salmon measurements

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

king salmon measurements

Post by John Murray »

Some of you noticed or got notice last season on king measurements.At least in Sitka F&G protection and others(?)are looking closely at the "proper measurement".At the weight station at SPC Sitka there is a good series of photos on the right way to measure.It would be worth your while to get the skinny on what is expected from Protection.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: king salmon measurements

Post by Trnaround »

Last year the Eyak crew was on high alert because they had bought some short fish. The way they told me the troopers measure is they hold the fish horizontally about an inch or so off the table and drop the fish flat. The measurement is from the farthest point (usually the lower jaw in an immature Chinook) to wherever the tail crosses the perpendicular line. No bending or stretching or laying the fish on an angle or squeezing the tail. They are taking it seriously and last year they cited quite a few boats and tenders. Of course it is a challenge to measure a flopping fish and they just don't co-operate and lay flat so you can get an exact measurement but better make sure because I don't think the troopers give warnings. :oops:
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I have got so I moved my mark to 28.5 " to make sure. I also release any that are real close and likely to live without measuring.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by Trnaround »

Yes better to err on the side of caution. Another thought is, if that fish is close and not mature and not injured badly, why not release it to possibly get to twice or three times it's size. Do you really want to count that fish against the quota? Maybe it would survive until someone else could take at a more worthy time. Just a thought. ;)