You know you are a lowliner when---

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: You know you are a lowliner when---

Post by Abundance »

Hey Tom, you've got a job with a guaranteed income to work at this winter. That puts you up on the top of the heap. Ten dollars an hour on the winter troll drag would result in a gold rush type fervor amongst the fleet. Here's one: you might be a lowliner if you put as many travel miles on the boat in July as you did dollars in the bank.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
khaos
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by khaos »

You might be a lowliner when..... your captain keeps speeding up to the floating rockfish being tossed overboard by the troller in front of you.
"Quick! Before the eagles get him!"
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I think it is time for some new additions to this thread. This actually happened to me last night. One of the editors of a fishing magazine who has published a couple of things I wrote sent this:

"You're long on experience and long of tooth, so why not write about stuff NOT to do. Come up with 10 or 5 or 13 examples -- for example, 12 flaws to look for when buying a boat, or 5 things not to do when trying to impress a fish council......
For each example, you'd have a short description ("Don't buy a boat from your brother-in-law"). And then a few sentences describing why it's a bad idea.

In many respects, fishing is like a small town. The best humor here should touch the writer. In other words, make fun of yourself first."

Here is part of my response: You know you are a lowliner when your editor friend, who prints all kinds of stories about great fishermen, how they hit em, how they changed the fishery etc. writes you and asks you to write a story on things not to do, how to miss the bite. Then I contrasted his request with another request I got from a different fishing magazine editor a few years ago.

I was working on humility this month, little did I know it would arrive in one e-mail request.
FV_Wild_Card

Post by FV_Wild_Card »

... when they send down the small traco without even asking what you got.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

And don't return it....
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You know you are a lowliner when you have fished over 60 years in SE Alaska and you don't have any IFQ's.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You know you are a lowliner when the salmon permit you bought in 1981 is worth the same today as it was when you bought it.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

You know you're a lowliner when you can't wait to get back to town to have a Macdonald's McFish sandwich.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

You know you're a lowliner when you're filling out the mitigation payment forms; and you wonder if releasing your catch data to the DCCED will make the miserably low totals you will be confessing to (in writing) available on the internet for anyone who cares to do a search.

If they would give me an extra ten bucks, I am also willing to post a current mug shot of myself on the official web page holding a sign which reads: "Accused of being a commercial troller. Released due to insufficient evidence."
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

Sounds familiar. I was just marveling with my Dad just how pathetic our catches were on the mitigation forms. It sure is embarrassing. There is not going to be much of a bonus for me, that's for sure.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You know you are a lowliner when you think the mitigation money will make up your loss of 15% of the Chinook at the treaty negotiations.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

You know you are a lowliner when you look at your mitigation form and think "whew, good thing I landed that king." :-)
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You really know you are a lowliner when you fished chums those years and didn't land a king.
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

So true.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You know you are a lowliner when you are referred to a processor who used to buy fish in your town and he can't remember you or your vessel.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You might be a lowliner when you pay insurance to fish year around but have not caught a fish in 6 months.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You might be a lowline troller when your financial advisor recommends buying a net like three of your ex- partners.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You know you are a lowliner when $.75 per pound difference isn't worth waiting in line for.
whojigger

Post by whojigger »

You might be a low liner if you don't care about the mitigation adjustment because you were too busy fixing up your boat to fish.
afteryou

Post by afteryou »

You know you are a lowliner when it's the end of April and you still have time to @#$% around on the internet ..:D..

Back to work! Ha Ha.