Hooks

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Hooks

Post by Crawfish »

What's your favorite curved point or non curved point stainless hook. The Mustad 95170's I use seem to be more prone to crevice corrosion than they used to be. I am looking for an alternative to 5/0 Mustad 95170's.
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Hooks

Post by fveureka »

http://www.qihooks.com/troll-hooks.html Qi trolling hooks seem comparable to Mustad, real sharp and stainless. I used #5 on dogs, 6&7 for hoochies and spoons.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Cool I will give them a try.
edsofish

Post by edsofish »

Something I have been doing for my halibut hooks since the eyes kept corroding and breaking in a very short time is; get some aluminum picture hanging wire and cut a piece about 2 inches long. Put one end through the eye and wrap the long part around the hook shank and then bend the part that went through the eye around the shank like you did with the long part until it is tight. By doing this you are adding an anode to the hook and it keeps the hooks from corroding for a much longer time. I used to go through a box of 6/0 9510 ss very quickly and now replace the hooks when the point gets too short.

Give it a try and see how it works for you.

All the Best to all and the Best of Luck