brailer bags

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Bill
Spammer?: No

brailer bags

Post by Bill »

Are there any salmon trollers fishing the Oregon coast, that are using brailer bags. I have not seen anybody delivering with them and I would like to try them out and get rid of my barrels. Also has anybody used their brine pump for cooling instead of ice.
oldschoolnewb

Re: brailer bags

Post by oldschoolnewb »

I troll in Alaska and have been around Alaska trolling my whole life and never seen anyone use "barrels". Like a 55 gallon drum? Just cut the top off?
Drew

Post by Drew »

I see a barrel as a rinse bin in this pic. Looks like a good idea to me.

By the way, can does anyone know what that rope on the pulleys in front of the pit is for? The only thing I can think of is to trail leaders for some reason.

Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

It's a "clothesline" for trailing leaders like you suggested. It's an alternative to bringing all your leaders back into the boat. It is faster but the conditions have to be right or it isn't. Seaweed on the surface,jellies, wind, propwash and stubborn Kings can mess things up. They are handy though. What's that silver object that looks like pliers in front of the plastic containers?
Drew

Post by Drew »

Fish hook remover.

Bill

Post by Bill »

I use 55 gal plastic barrels, make slush ice and after cleaning and soaking, just put them in the barrels. I have a three point lift on the top to lift them out with a dock crane. We generally dont have high score days so the barrels work ok, but I would like to give the bags a try. Bill
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Winter King Feb 6th 2002.jpg
Winter King Feb 6th 2002.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 10112 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

IMG_7276.JPG
IMG_7276.JPG (109.17 KiB) Viewed 10114 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Icy Strait chums in brailer bag, 2011.jpg
Icy Strait chums in brailer bag, 2011.jpg (70.26 KiB) Viewed 10123 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I highly recommend Nomar Brailer Bags. I have used some of them since 1990. These are standard 800 lb or so bags. They have new 500 pound bags that nestle together in a standard size bag bin.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks, I talked to Nomar at the fish expo, they were very helpful. the pictures really helped. Thanks again, oh, nice looking fish. Bill