Fish trough construction plans/advice?

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: Fish trough construction plans/advice?

Post by mattakfish »

Just finished my trough with the help of a friend who has welding skills and some spare aluminum. I combined the features of a couple of local examples. I was originally going to make it 28 inches but decided to go for 36 overall to accommodate the big kings (too optimistic?) but I cut a notch on both sides at 28. It has quite a low, long cut out for the gills and a stop at the head-end. Hopefully the stop is not to low....and hopefully the low cut-out will make taking the gills out a little easier. The sides are about 5 inches high.I chose not to cut slots in the bottom with the the idea that it will mean less slime and blood on the deck. If I get a few more projects done, I hope to use it for the first time before the end of the month.
Matt on the F/V Aurora
ironpaso

Post by ironpaso »

If you guys can come up with some dimensions for the length and depth, along with the angle of the trough I can probably form up a generic long version and then trim the shorter requests as needed. or send me an old wood one to mimic. Harry
ironpaso

Post by ironpaso »

OK guys I did some research and what I came up with is 316 S.S. This alloy has good corrosion resistance and formability. I also was reading another post about size requirements, and we could have a bumper of sorts that could be slid up and back and clamped in place. Harry
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Iropaso, I sent you a private message.