Favorite Meals and Recipes on the Troller

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Favorite Meals and Recipes on the Troller

Post by joeman79 »

Just a quick post to see if anyone will Chime in on what some of your favorite meals are while you are out Trolling? I know the past 3 summers many times at the end of the day we were both so shot that what ever was handy and quick sufficed. But other days we would grill Salmon, Brats and an occasional high priced steak. Some breakfasts were a Peanut Butter Sandwich and some were Dungie Crab Omelets with Hashbrowns made from the night before Baked Potatoes.
My Captains Favorites were the Smoked Meats I brought up from Kansas, and any other meals he did not have to prepare.
Anyway I am always looking for new recipes and ways to Cook Salmon. So if anyone would like to share any ideas that would be great.
Any tips on Cooking on and in a Dickenson Stove would also be great.
akfish1

Re: Favorite Meals and Recipes on the Troller

Post by akfish1 »

Hey Joe, I got a dutch oven last year. I could throw a chicken, potatoes, and such in or chili ingriedients. My favorite was probably Coho simmered in some sundried tomato salad dressing with a side of Zatarains black beans and rice. Easy and quick clean up. Breakfast was pop tarts or oatmeal.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

fastest breakfast for me is instant oatmeal in the packet. Rip the top off, pour hot water in the packet and warm your hands while eating, lick the spoon twice and your done. if it's too hot to hold ...don't take your gloves off.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

I second the motion of the Dutch Oven! We get those big corned beef briskets from Costco and let them slow-cook on the Dickinson. Throw some veggies in and let them steam for a while just before eating, slice a chunk of hoagie and voila!
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

You got it Mike I forgot about the Corned Beef we did! Wow did that hit the spot! Great idea Joeman fun topic!
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I make my own Pastrami out of Venison and Goose and it is basically the same process as Corning Beef. The difference is when the meat comes out of the brine you put a Rub on it and smoke it for a couple 3 hours. Next year I will just Corn some and bring it with me, that sounds really good.
One of my favorite lunches was when Kenny made King Salmon Salad Sandwiches. WOW they were great!!
You guys talk about Dutch Ovens, do you put them in the oven on the Dickinson or on Top? Because I have some great recipes for slow cooking.
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

I put mine in the Oven Joe.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

The one I have is sorta square so it does nicely right on the top of the Dickinson. It came with a big three-burner propane camp stove that Costco had on sale last spring. Love that big stove too. Has sturdy legs and grab-handles that just happened to fit perfectly over the combing on the slaughterhouse so it sits level on the edge at just the right cooking height. Last season on those warm days we just shut off the Dickinson and did all the cooking on deck under the awning we have as a shelter-deck cover. Sweet.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

We eat a lot of fish taco's there's always some kind eatin fish around.I've even made tacos with salmon but white fish is preferred.
Another big hit is a deer shoulder or store bought chewy piece place in oven bag, bake for a good long time add vegies toward the end.Man that killer smell of the meat cooking always get's the crew in the pit really hungry.What a feast,recipe thanks to Gary on the Brat.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I like making big pots of chowder. I just melt a stick of butter in the bottom of a big pot, stir in some flour, then add hot water from the kettle (if you add cold water it gets hard to mix up the chunks of flour), chop up an onion, potatoes, and whatever else you have to throw in, a can of tomato paste, salt, pepper, and whatever other spices you desire. You can add whatever kind of fish or crab you want to the mix. Alternatively you can use bacon grease instead of the butter (remove the bacon when you mix in the flour and add it back later).

A big pot lasts me a day and a half for just myself.
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

Fillet of cod, dusky or yelloweye rock fish, shark bit salmon in covered casserole dish with a pinch of salt, lemon pepper and a slash of Yoshida sweet soy sauce, couple red potatoes and carrots diced baked in oil stove.

I am such a low liner yet that for most of the time I have a slapper sandwich. That is when your so poor you just slap 2 pieces of bread together and pretend its a BLT.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

No Hungry Man TV dinners and Chunky Soup?
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

I think there are more chunky soup nights than real meals. Though salmon is at least 2 or 3 times a week. We take Stouffers frozen lasagna and frozen homemade chili also.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I bought several packages of those instant potatoes that Are different flavored. They come in a pack that are like 4 servings. Fry a slab of halibut or rock fish lightly dusted with fish breading, open a can of green beans. Really hits the spot after a long day. And I could have it done in the time it took Kenny to get us to the anchorage.
We also put a few big baked potatoes in the stove a couple hrs before we quit for the day and that was good, with some kind of meat. We sliced the extra potatoes, added a bunch of onions for hashbrowns the next day with sausage and eggs. My favorite breakfast.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Fish tacos are always great. Buy a small bag of coleslaw mix add some sour cream, salsa or what I love is Adobo sauce mixed in. Great on fish tacos!!!
ironpaso

Post by ironpaso »

I got one from the land locked down here. A big pork shoulder, a bunch of mustard( like a whole bottle) and some brown sugar and some cranberry juice, or substitute the cranberry for a few Moose Drool beers. I want to hang with you guys just for the food! Harry
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Haha zatoan, I ate those for years.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Ya I found out how much a guy cooks when he is fishing alone!! Not near as much when you have a deckhand!!! LOL I ate a bunch of Granola Bars and Instant oatmeal and alot of Crackers and Cheese and peanut butter sandwiches while fishing alone. But also had some awesome suppers rafting up with the F/Vs Sidney - Sea Scape - Zonta and the Aurora.
Loved cooking on the Dickinson and Grilling. Blackened King Salmon with Pasta and Alfredo OMG GOOD!!!
And while I deckhanded on the Sea Scape i was spoiled with great breakfasts nearly every morning. I can't wait till next spring I have some new ideas for slow cooking suppers in the oven.
\
akfishergirl

Post by akfishergirl »

Biscuits. Gravy.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

@akfishergirl: Can you get your Dickinson oven hot enough for biscuits without being on the verge of having the stove go out of control? I can't hardly. Do you have a secret or tip for that? Maybe I need to start a thread about getting optimum performance out of a Dickinson. I've had conflicting advice.