bycatch

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
janalaska
Spammer?: No

bycatch

Post by janalaska »

Is there such a thing as "bycatch" for hand trollers? Can I keep Kings I catch when hand trolling for Coho? New to this and don't want to make mistakes.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: bycatch

Post by Once and Future »

Only if there is a king season open. Which, if there is, why would you be hand trolling for coho?
Jackson
Spammer?: No

Post by Jackson »

It's all spelled out in the regulations written by ADF&G. If you're fishing, you should probably read them. :)
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

How long are said regulations? I am a strong believer in "simple question, simple answer". For example, try reading the Coast Guard regs to see what covers us. You cannot get answers that way, as a matter of practicality. So if somebody has a simple question, it don't hurt to ask friends for the answer.

In fact, I wish I had been a little more clear in my answer to the original question. The more simple answer on my part would have been, no, you cannot keep kings you catch accidentally, unless it's during an opening for king salmon. And I would assume if there was a king opening, the fisherman would be targeting kings rather than coho. So the question didn't quite add up, but that can happen when someone is new.