Alaska Trollers Association

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
sixlines

Re: Alaska Trollers Association

Post by sixlines »

ATA board members (Dale)
I've been reading alot about ATA lately and if I lived and fished below area D I would mostdefenently would be a member of ATA.I realize the foot work all of you do for the Powertroller and the trolling industry as a whole.But lets go back in time before state hood,Wich user group pioneerd the troll industry in alaska?
I'm sitting here trying to figure out why an organization called ATA refuses to back a couple small communities from partisipating in a fishery that really should include them.Is it greed? I personally dont believe that by reading these post,listening to these guys share info.We are doing our best trying to catch up to the enhancement of kingsalmon.I'm sure the trollers here would join ATA if we could get backing.
kingquota

Post by kingquota »

To ATA,
I am curious as to why each time we have requested the Fish and Game to open trolling for us in Yakutat Area D (Once in Yakutat and once in Juneau), After talking to the Department staff ATA talks to us why we are closed and doesn't offer us a way out. Just that we should pay the ATA dues which are excessive to us when we have more restrictions than any other area in the trolling arena. WE have a loss of 60 days during the Spring King Quota Season (In the past, we had a loss of 75 days). Then during the coho season from August until September we loss another three to four days a week. then we have another closure from five to ten days. That is besides the weather that prevents our small boats of under 24 foot skiffs and boats from fishing. We just cannot afford to join your organization. Especially when we do not get any support from ATA, when we ALSO ARE TROLLERS. Maybe you can see our side (for once) instead of helping the department to keep us close, it would be a big help. It may even turn us around.I guess the question must be asked "Why is the ATA so set against having Area D open for trolling"? Remember, Yakutat is closed not only for Kings but for all trolling for salmon. TOTAL CLOSURE!!!
sixlines

Post by sixlines »

King Quota I must agree with everything that you have said seance you started the petition.I believe all of us have signed it.WE have backing from many indies.We may have to go to court but I believe we have a right to Fish.By them fishing as far away from the hatcheries as they can,There getting into the average king salmon population,You know as well as I do that waters all around in the spring have about 25% hatchery kings swimming in them,Give or take a few %.