sounder(s)/transducer(s) suitable for Nobeltech Catch

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
cheechakoe
Spammer?: No

sounder(s)/transducer(s) suitable for Nobeltech Catch

Post by cheechakoe »

Hi all:

Was wondering if any out there had opinions/suggestions on suitable sounder/transducer combos that will integrate/communicate well with the Nobeltech Catch program. Thinking Furuno, but open to suggestions. Am starting from scratch (will schedule haulout in next week or three after buying/receiving electronics); boat presently has a Morrow 60 (not even the 120!) flasher, so reckon it's prolly time for an upgrade (/sarcasm).

Considering two unit combos for redundancy: one, a bare-bones functional/serviceable sounder/transducer combo plus another that is sorta mid-range in price/capability (I know price/value is relative, cuz you can spend gazillions if you want to, so a ballpark in dollars is 2-3 grand -- will that amount cover a unit combo with sufficient sensitivity for the needs of a troller?). Would consider spending slightly more if there's a compelling reason to do so. Model names, brands esp. handy (lotta options, allus useful to winnow to specifics).

Thanks to any and all that take a moment to kick around ideas/suggestions.

Dave Richey, F/V (one day, soon, after emerging from boatwork purgatory) Albee Rose
JKD

Re: sounder(s)/transducer(s) suitable for Nobeltech Catch

Post by JKD »

I have my "older" [mid 1990s version] Furuno color sounder inter-phased with my Nobeltec Catch system and have had no problems. Nobeltec would be a good source of helpful information if you were considering using the bathy components in your Catch software - through customer feed-back they may have compiled a particular set of sounder parameters that seems to work best for mapping bottom contours. Good luck.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

You'll need the Sounder Plus Pack from Nobeltec to make this work, but I'd strongly suggest the Furuno network Black-Box sounder as the best interface.
http://www.furunousa.com/Products/Produ ... t=DFF1-UHD
The CHIRP technology allows enough target definition that you can tell the sizes of the fish in the bait balls and can tell predator fish from bait. It will also tell you bottom type (mud, gravel, sand, etc) It also allows you to clearly paint bottom in over 400 fathoms with only a 1-KW transducer.
When you get that and use it for a while, go see the Longliners Association in Sitka, ALFA, and trade your bathy data with them for their full data package. Unbelievably amazing!
Brother Dave

Post by Brother Dave »

Cheechakoe I'm currently in the same research mode as you. I am very happy with the Garmin 840xs in my HT boat and think the 1040 (10-inch) will be a great budget unit for my bigger boat. I would like to complement it with a higher end Furuno, Catch, etc. so still researching that. Then there is the issue of running another MFD to the pit. So many options out there between the hardware, software, and interface now it's not easy to decide. Keep us posted on your choices.

For what it's worth, here is a screenshot of the cheap 840xs....bang-for-the-buck it's a great 'extra' to have on board, provided it doesn't cross-ping with whatever high end unit you install.

Katlian
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Katlian »

I built this board as a loaner. It is a big help once you buy all 12v components. If you look around, you can find, USB, Ethernet switch, Monitor Splitters, and laptop chargers that are all 12v. You cut off the 110v adapter and wire them to the board. This gets rid of blips when inverter winks out for a moment. Off screen are the USB to 9 pin adapters. Sealevel are the only way to go for reliability and support. Prices are on most of the items for reference. The budget was under $1500 for a serious laptop and all the components pictured.
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Katlian: I like what you're doing, but you're several levels above me and I don't understand your overarching objective. Other than I understand you have done some converting to 12 volts to eliminate the inverter.

My next question will indicate just how far below your level I am: My boat came with a vga switch for selecting between 2 monitors. Can a computer output handle running 2 monitors at the same time through a splitter so I don't need the selector switch? I haven't "just tried it" because I have a rule of thumb about avoiding smoke.